Gallagher Electric Blog - Read More

Home / Read More

How to know if your Wiring is Faulty

  Bad Wiring    06-16-2015 

Faulty wiring is a leading cause of residential fires according to a 2009 study by the National Fire Prevention Association. And the older your house is, the greater the chances that old wiring might be outdated or unsafe.
If you don’t know the condition of your wiring, it’s worth paying an electrician to inspect your electrical system.
Warning signs of outdated, old wiring include - Breakers trip or fuses blow regularly, Tingling sensation when you touch a wall switch, appliance, or receptacles, Dimming and flickering lights, A burning smell in a particular room or from an appliance, Discolored outlets and switch plates that are warm to the touch, Your house was built more than 40 years ago.
Dangers of aluminum wiring include
Some houses built in the 1960s and early 1970s have aluminum wiring instead of the standard copper wire. Aluminum wiring is considered a safety hazard because wiring connections may loosen up over time. Tiny gaps between the wiring and connectors may lead to overheating and possibly fires, especially when appliances and lighting fixtures are plugged into them.
A qualified electrician can inspect your home’s wiring to determine if it’s OK to leave your existing wiring in place. The addition of copper connectors, called pigtails, at circuit breakers and receptacles usually resolve potential problems with older aluminum wiring.
Upgrading to newer receptacles and wall switches also help prevent problems.


We Specialize in providing excellent electrical services to our customers at the prices they expect.

  Contact Us

955 Airport Rd APT 614 Destin FL 32541

Tel : 850-837-8838
Mail : [email protected]

Hours of Operation

Mon-Sat - 7am - 5pm

Sun - Closed